Inside Energy is not the only news organization exploring the enormous transitions in our energy world. Our colleagues at the New England News Collaborative recently dove into the issue with a five part series entitled The Big Switch: New England’s Energy Moment. Turns out that even in New England, the old-fashioned power grid, has to deal with times when we have far more energy from renewables than we need, and others where we still have to burn fossil fuels to power ourselves. Sounds familiar, right?
You can check out their whole series here, or tune into individual stories:
- How a surge in solar is changing how Vermont buys and sells electricity
- A Rhode Island controversy over the construction of a new gas-fired power plant
- The future of wind energy in Connecticut
- How a small start-up had an idea on how to produce electricity locally, challenging a major utility in Maine
- Back to Vermont for a story on how the humble water heater could act as a battery to store excess electricity